Many a time we get so trapped in our own minds that we forget to let appreciation seep into our being. We’re always too busy wishing for the things that we don’t have, for projects that could elevate our careers, or bills that need to be paid, just about anything and everything. This leads to us feeling low about ourselves, our lives, and how we lack in many areas. We feel dissatisfied and ineffectual. We get so side-swept by everything that’s going wrong that we fail to see all the things that we have and should give thanks for. Once you realize that there can always be things that you can give gratitude for, you will take one step closer to peace.
Gratitude can mean many things for many people:
- It is appreciation
- It is looking on the bright side of a setback
- It is an understanding abundance
- It is thanking someone in your life
- It is thanking God
- It is counting your blessings
- It is savouring the little things
- It is not taking things for granted
- It is present-oriented
- It is coping with adversities
Let’s learn from master Vidisha Kaushal how you can practice gratitude in life.
Start by sitting comfortably and closing your eyes.
Align yourself with your breath.
Let every muscle in your body, from the top of your head to the tip of your toes, relax.
Notice your thoughts as they come and then let them pass. When you wander, bring your focus back to your breath, as you inhale and exhale.
Let these words sink deep into your being.
- I feel a sense of gratitude swell deep inside of me
- With every breath, I thank life. I am thankful for my breath that keeps me alive.
- I am aware of the power that keeps my breath alive, I am thankful for it.
- I am filling my body with this pranic healing.
- My body is my temple. I am thankful for this vessel where this pranic energy resides.
- All my senses thank my organs with utmost gratitude.
Begin to take your focus to your family.
- In this family, there are people who have unconditionally loved me.
- They supported me, kept me safe, and also challenged me for the better.
- I thank them for this energy. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you.
- This energy of gratitude is flowing through all spectrums of my life; my friends, my colleagues, and even my enemies.
- Every person in my life has led me to where I am today, and I thank them all. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
- This energy of gratitude is now flowing towards my work; at home and at the office.
- I get to express myself creatively through my work. I have learned a lot and grown in my talent and capabilities.
- I am grateful for the mental and emotional growth I have attained through my work. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
- I am thankful for my home. I get peace, safety, and nourishment in this space. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
- To all my teachers and mentors, I thank them from the bottom of my heart. I got help, guidance, and growth from them. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you.
- I also thank the universe for showering all kinds of abundance upon me.
- And I end this by thanking myself. I got this gift of life through me. Life lives through me. I learned so much and overcame so much because of myself. I am grateful for the growth I’ve gone through and become who I am.
- Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Slowly open your eyes and bring yourself back to the present. Let the warmth of gratitude embrace you.
Listen to the full meditation on the ThinkRight.me app.