People meet, fall in love, and decide to spend the rest of their lives together. You think you know your partner in-and-out – their annoying habits, their pet peeves, their favourite ice-cream flavour, to what makes them laugh – but do you really? You’d actually be surprised how many issues are unknowingly swept under the carpet.
While it’s normal to have contrasting opinions on some issues, simply letting out these questions in the universe, will help you both know where your significant other stands.
So, no matter where you are in your relationship today – about to get married, about to get engaged, already engaged, already married – do ask these questions to your partner. If you both agree on them, well and good, if not, you’ll know what needs to be tended to.
- Do you want children?
- Where will we live after we get married?
- How do you suggest we should divide household responsibilities?
- How do you think we should take care of both sets of parents?
- How do we plan our daily finances to ensure that we’re paying our fair share?
- What would you define infidelity?
- How do we deal with a conflict? Do you like to be left alone after there’s a conflict?
- According to you, what are the areas that we need to work upon as a couple?
- How open are you to change? Can you adjust to things in a reasonable time, or always like to stick to a plan?
- How can I better communicate with you?
- What do you think your role as a wife/husband would be after marriage?
- How do we plan to invest and save money? Do we both have an equal share in everything or keep things separate?
- Do you like travelling? How often would you like to travel?
- How important is spending time with friends for you?
- What if one of your family members dislike me?
- What is your biggest fear about marriage?
- Would you be okay to move cities/countries if I get a better job opportunity there?
- What do you think keeps the love alive in marriages?
- What is an absolute deal-breaker for you?
- Is there anything you don’t trust about me?
- Is there anything you would want me to change about myself?
Now, the answers to these questions are not written in rock, people change over the course of time, and their opinion will too. But at least, you can prevent certain unforeseen surprises to spring up and upturn your world in the future.