Who does not like traveling to exotic places? New places, new experiences, new culture, everything is oh-so-good! You come back home with a bag full of memories, a tan, and of course, jet-lag! Want to know to get rid of jet lag after a holiday? Read on!
What Causes Jet lag?
The shifting of time zones disrupts our sleep-walk cycle. And when the body does not have enough time to adjust to the new environment, it causes jet lag. Jet-lag leads to disturbed sleep, fatigue, inability to concentrate and even gastrointestinal problems.
Think Right Tips On How To Get Rid Of Jet Lag After A Holiday:
- Adjust sleep schedule: At least 2-3 days prior to your trip, sleep according to the time zone you are traveling to. This helps in accommodating our body clock.
- Regulate sun exposure: Sunlight exposure must be regulated according to the sleep patterns.
- Shorten a long trip: Regular halts in a journey with time to rest, helps the biological clock adjust to the changes in time.
- Avoid heavy meals, caffeine or alcohol: Caffeine and alcohol alter your sleep timings and thus should be avoided. Similarly, a heavy meal can make you drowsy. Thus, making you fall asleep before your time.
- Sleep on the plane: During long journeys, it is advisable to sleep on the plane. This will give your body and mind enough rest.
- Relax on the first day: It is important to let your body adjust to the new time zone. So sit back and relax.
- Light therapy: This involves exposure to artificial bright light. As a result, it forces the person to stay awake and alleviates jet lag.
Source: Med India
Read more: Childhood Asthma – A Manageable Illness