At Harvard, one of the most prestigious universities in the world, the most popular and successful course is Ben Shahar’s, Positive Psychology class.
20% of Harvard graduates, which is 1400 students per semester, opt for this course. According to Professor Shahar, the course gives students tools for success and joy in life by focussing on happiness, self-esteem, and motivation.
At 45, Ben Shahar is considered a ‘happiness guru’. His tips on how to stay fit and healthy naturally lead to an improved personal development and thus a positive life.
Tips to stay positive:
1. Thank God for your blessings: Write down 10 things that make you happy in your life and focus on the good things.
2. Stay active and remain fit. Exercising improves the mood and is a great stress and sadness reliever.
3. Never miss breakfast because it provides energy for the day, enables better thinking and increases performance.
4. Be assertive and speak your mind. Silence leads to sadness and hopelessness. Assertiveness improves self-esteem.
5. Spend money on experiences rather than on buying possessions. According to a survey, 75% of people feel happier when they travel, learn a new skill, take classes.
6. Don’t postpone the inevitable because it just creates more anxiety and tension. Challenges can be made easier by making weekly task lists to complete.
7. Fill your space with beautiful memories like motivational phrases and photographs of loved ones. Put it on your fridge, desk, computer and room.
8. Keep smiling and greet people nicely. The state of smiling is a great mood enhancer.
9. Wear comfortable shoes. According to the President of the American Orthopedics Association, Dr. Keith Wapner, hurting feet makes you moody.
10. Stand and walk with an erect posture. Shoulders back and chest out maintains a positive mood.
11. Listen to music because it encourages you to sing leading to a happy feeling.
12. Eat right because food impacts your mood. Skipping meals is not a good idea instead eat three to four light meals a day. This keeps the glucose level stable. Remember to avoid excess white flour and sugar, while eating varied but healthy food.
13. Groom and look after yourself so you feel attractive. 70% of people feel happier when they think they look good.
14. Believe in God because nothing is possible without him.
15. Develop a sense of humour because you need the ability to laugh when things aren’t going right.
Happiness is like a remote control: you go crazy looking for it when you lose it while often the case is you are actually sitting on it. Don’t go looking for happiness when it is under your control. Follow these tips and notice the positive change in your life.