Meditation can be defined as a practice that promotes concentration and increased awareness. Another method of altering cognition that has been proven to even have numerous advantages for mental stability is meditation. These meditation quotes can give you the encouragement to begin a practice that’ll change your life. But first, let’s understand the meaning of meditation.
Utilizing a range of psychological and physiological approaches, meditation is an activity that includes focusing or cleansing your thoughts.
The Origin Of Meditation
Despite the fact that meditation has lately become more well-known in the United States, meditation has been around for a very long time. Religions, especially Buddhism, have been linked to the activity.
While meditation was practiced all over Asia, it wasn’t until the 20th century that it really started to spread outside of Asia. And during the 1960s and 1970s, it became more popular in the West and was frequently connected to the hippie movement. You can also read some yoga quotes to know more about meditation.
The Effects Of Meditation
It’s common to compare the mind to a river that flows effortlessly over different kinds of surfaces. One intentional way to change this stream is through meditation, which will also change how you see and react to the environment surrounding you.
Anyone can meditate for a variety of reasons, including relaxation, anxiety relief, and stress management, based on the method they select. Even now, some people utilize meditation to support their efforts to enhance their life, for example, to cope with the difficulties of stopping smoking.
Mental, Emotional, and Physiological Advantages of Meditation
- More effective treatment of depression, anxiety, sleeping difficulties, pain, and hypertension symptoms.
- Greater self-awareness.
- Enhanced ability to deal with stress.
- Improvements in several components of focus and concentration.
- Increased self-awareness.
- Enhanced psychological well-being.
- Better working capacity and fluid intelligence.
- Enhanced immunity.
- Heightened awareness of others’ feelings for you.
- Headache reduction.
Why Is Meditation Effective?
Numerous studies have revealed specific changes in the brain architecture of habitual meditators. These alterations typically entail richer nerve cells or brain regions that seem to be bigger than normal, which indicates that perhaps the interactions between the neurons in those regions are more frequent and powerful.
The brain regions most frequently impacted are those that regulate or influence sensations, the capacity for thought and concentration, and the capacity for processing emotions. Therefore, those who frequently practice meditation have healthy brains and are much less prone to experience age-related cognitive decline. Additionally, they are better able to manage and regulate uncomfortable feelings like anxiety and rage.
How Can You Practice Meditation?
Meditation comes in a variety of forms. This is due to the fact that there are numerous variations of meditation. A consistent set of events occurs in all types of meditation, according to experts who have studied various meditation techniques. Which are:
Some people refer to this as self-scanning. This requires concentrating on the sensory experiences you can sense all over your body.
Moving While Doing Meditation.
This style of meditation may entail paying attention to the breath, retaining breathing, or making certain body actions. Another method is to stroll while paying attention to your surroundings.
This typically includes focusing without allowing your thoughts to flow on a topic or other sort of conflict.
Meditation Focusing On Emotions
You concentrate on a particular emotion during this type of meditation. For instance, concentrating on what brings you joy in life or learning how to be good to others.
This type of meditation requires repetition and concentration on a particular word or sound.
How To Meditate?
Despite the number of multiple types of meditation and methods to perform, understanding a simple meditation for novices is an excellent place to start:
Pick a Place That is Calm and Quiet
Disconnect from the tv, phones, and other irritants. Choose calming, rhythmic sound if you opt to listen to it quietly.
Adhere to small sessions, between 5 and 10 mins max, when you are initially starting out.
Be Mindful of Your Body and Choose a Comfortable Seat
If you think you are able to peacefully sit for a few minutes at a moment, you are welcome to sit cross-legged on the ground or in a seat.
Remember to Breathe Deeply
Try inhaling deeply to make your tummy expand, followed by a slow exhalation. Pay close attention to your breathing patterns.
Be Aware of What You’re Thinking.
Since your thoughts will eventually drift, meditation doesn’t really aim to make you mentally clear. Instead, concentrate actively, each time you find your thoughts wandering, slowly bring them back to your breathing.
100+ Meditation Quotes and Captions to Give you Peace
You can draw hope, lessen stress, and concentrate on fostering cooperation in today’s hectic world by reading inspirational meditation quotes.
1. “Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.” (Buddha)
2. “Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.” (Buddha)
3. “You will always be getting praise and blame, but do not let either affect the poise of the mind.” (Buddha)
4. “When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.” (Buddha)
5. “Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine.” (Buddha)
6. “All know the Way, but few actually walk it.” (Buddha)
“If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.” (Buddha)
8. “The mind is the source of happiness and unhappiness.” (Buddha)
9. “The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.” (Buddha)
10. “If you are quiet enough, you will hear the flow of the universe. You will feel its rhythm. Go with this flow. Happiness lies ahead. Meditation is key.” (Buddha)
Short Meditation Quotes
11. “Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.” (Lao Tzu)
12. “Peace comes from within.” (Buddha)
13. “Happiness is a journey, not a destination.” (Buddha)
14. “The way is not in the sky. The Way is in the heart.” (Buddha)
15. “You only lose what you cling to.” (Buddha)
16. “Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.” (Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati)
17. “The quieter you become the more you can hear.” (Unknown author)
8. “Sleep is the best meditation.” (Dalai Lama)
19. “Meditation and concentration are the way to a life of serenity.” (Baba Ram Dass)
20. “Meditation is a way for nourishing and blossoming the divinity within you.” (Amit Ray)
Meditation Healing Quotes
21. “Meditation is a vital way to purify and quiet the mind, thus rejuvenating the body.” (Deepak Chopra)
22. “The body benefits from movement, and the mind benefits from stillness.” (Sakyong Mipham)
23. “Meditation can reintroduce you to the part that’s been missing” (Russell Simmons)
24. “Meditation is medicine to quiet the chaotic mind, and it allows us to listen to the wisdom of our souls.” (Dr. Romie)
25. “Meditation is absolute comfort and getting back to the serenity which is your original nature.” (Sri Sri)
Meditation Quotes For Stress Relief
26. “Where there is peace and meditation, there is neither anxiety nor doubt.” (Sr. Francis de Sales)
27. “You don’t always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens.” (Unknown author)
28. “Those who have destroyed the roots of jealousy have peace of mind always.” (Buddha)
29. “The goal of meditation isn’t to control your thoughts, it’s to stop letting them control you.” (Unknown author)
30. “You should sit in meditation for 20 minutes a day. Unless you’re too busy. Then you should sit for one hour.” (Old zen saying)
31. “If you have time to breathe, you have time to meditate.” (Ajahn Chah)
32. “Rule your mind or it will rule you.” (Buddha)
33. “Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat any time and be yourself.” (Hermann Hesse)
34. “You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.” (Eckhart Tolle)
35. “Chasing after the world brings chaos. Allowing it all to come to me, brings peace.” (Unknown author)
36. “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” (Thich Nhat Hahn)
37. “Your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges. So relax.” (Bryant McGill)
Mindful Inspirational Meditation Quotes
38. “If you abandon the present moment, you cannot live the moments of your daily life deeply.” (Thich Nhat)
39. “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.” (Buddha)
40. “What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.” (Buddha)
41. “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.” (Buddha)
42. “Peace cannot be kept by force it can be achieved by understanding.” (Albert Einstein)
43. “The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path, I walk in peace. With each step, the wind blows. With each step, a flower blooms.” (Thich Nhat Hanh)
44. “Your vision will become clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams, who looks insides, awakes.” (Carl Jung Gustav)
45. “As long as your heart remains, an ever-mounting aspiration-flame. It makes no difference what your weaknesses are.” (Sri Chinmoy)
46. “Peace begins with a smile.” (Mother Teresa)
47. “The universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself, everything that you want, you already are.” (Rumi)
48. “Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.” (Pema Chodron)
49. “Meditation is being in tune with our inner energy source.” (Unknown author)
50. “Meditation is not to escape from society, but to come back to ourselves and see what is going on. Once there is seeing, there must be acting. With mindfulness we know what to do and what not to do to help.” (Thich Nhat Hanh)
51. “Only in my deep meditation do I come to know who I truly am.” (Sri Chinmoy)
52. “Meditation is like a gym in which you develop the powerful mental muscles of calm and insight.” (Ajahn Brahm)
53. “To understand the immeasurable, the mind must be extraordinarily quiet, still.” (Jiddu Krishnamurti)
54. “With every breath, the old moment is lost; a new moment arrives. We exhale and we let go of the old moment. It is lost to us. In doing so, we let go of the person we used to be. We inhale and breathe in the moment that is becoming. In doing so, we welcome the person we are becoming. We repeat the process. This is meditation. This is renewal. This is life.” (Lama Surya Das)
55. “Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless – like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” (Bruce Lee)
56.”You should not be carried away by the dictation of the mind, but the mind should be carried by your dictation.” (A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami)
57. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” (Amit Ray)
58. “Silence is not an absence but a presence.” (Anne D. LeClaire)
59. “I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind.” (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
60. “You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” (Buddha)
61. “The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.” (Caroline Myss)
62. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” (Dalai Lama)
63. “In the same way that rain breaks into a house with a bad roof, desire breaks into the mind that has not been practicing meditation.” (Unknown author)
64. “If the mind falls asleep, awaken it. Then if it starts wandering, make it quiet. If you reach the state where there is neither sleep nor movement of mind, stay still in that, the natural (real) state.” (Ramana Maharshi)
65. “Undisturbed calmness of mind is attained by cultivating friendliness toward the happy, compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and indifference toward the wicked.” (Patanjali)
66. “Whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. What is soft is strong.” (Lao Tzu)
67. “Learn to slow down. Get lost intentionally. Observe how you judge both yourself and those around you.” (Tim Ferriss)
68. “You don’t need any methods to get rid of the wrong ideas you have about yourself. All you have to do is stop believing them. The best way to do this is to replace them with ideas that more accurately reflect the real state of affairs.” (Annamalai Swami)
69. “The first steps in self-acceptance are not at all pleasant, for what one sees is not a happy sight. One needs all the courage to go further.” (Nisargadatta Maharaj)
70. “Put your heart, mind, intellect, and soul even to your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.” (Swami Sivananda)
71. “Mind can be your best friend or your worst enemy.” (Kabira)
72. “Go within every day and find the inner strength, so that the world cannot blow your candle out.” (Katherine Dunham)
73. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” (Lao Tzu)
74. “He who lives in harmony with himself, lives in harmony with the universe.” (Marcus Aurelius)
75. “Listen to the compass of your heart. All you need lies within you.” (Mary Anne Radmacher)
76. “The more tranquil a man becomes, the greater is his success, his influence, his power for good.” (James Allen)
77. “Whatever state I am in, I see it as a state of mind to be accepted as it is.” (Nisargadatta Maharaj)
78. “You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible.” (Deepak Chopra)
79. “You have a treasure within you that is infinitely greater than anything the world can offer.” (Eckhart Tolle)
80. “Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?” (David M. Bader)
81. “Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life.” (Thich Nhat Hanh)
82. “When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.” (Francois de La Rochefoucauld)
83. “Paradise is not a place, it’s a state of consciousness.” (Sri Chinmoy)
84. “Don’t try to solve anything, just be.” (Maxime Lagacé)
Spiritual Meditation Quotes
85. “Praying is talking to the Universe. Meditation is listening to it.” (Paulo Coelho)
86. “Spiritual yearning is the homesickness of the soul.” (Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati)
87. “May my heart be kind. May my mind be fierce. May my spirit be brave.” (Kate Forsyth)
88. “Don’t go for what you know you can get. Go for what you really want.” (Maharishi Mahesh Yogi)
89. “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.” (Buddha)
90. “Meditation is the secret of all growth in spiritual life and knowledge.” (James Allen)
91. “Self-observation is the first step of inner unfolding.” (Amit Ray)
92. “Meditation is another dimension of natural beauty. People talk about appreciating natural beauty – climbing mountains, seeing giraffes and tigers in Africa, and all sorts of things. But nobody seems to appreciate this kind of natural beauty of ourselves. This is actually far more beautiful than flora and fauna, far more fantastic, far more painful and colorful and delightful.” (Chogyam Trungpa)
93. “You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you; none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but you own soul.” (Swami Vivekananda)
94. “Meditation will not carry you to another world, but it will reveal the most profound and awesome dimensions of the world in which you already live. Calmly contemplating these dimensions and bringing them into the service of compassion and kindness is the right way to make rapid gains in meditation as well as in life.” (Zen Master Hsing Yu)
95. “When you truly know yourself, you don’t try to impress people anymore. One way to know yourself is to meditate.” (Maxime Lagacé)
96. “Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.” (Marcus Aurelius)
97. “Suffering is due to our disconnection with the inner soul. Meditation is establishing that connection.” (Amit Ray)
Funny Meditation Quotes
98. “I have lived with several Zen masters – all of them cats.” (Eckhart Tolle)
99. Inhale the good sh*t, exhale the bullsh*t. (Unknown author)
100. Meditation: Because some answers can only be found on the inner net. – Shira Tamir
Meditation is the best practice to include in everyday life. This article will surely help you in finding inspiration to start meditating. You can also read some relatable quotes to know more about life, love, or travel on republic quote.