Transcendental Meditation is a type of Mantra Meditation, but do not get it confused with Mantra Meditation. The goal of transcendental meditation is to go beyond the thinking process. Unlike other meditation techniques this meditation emphasizes the fact that the human mind is capable of going into the tranquil state without outside effort, but only if it is given the right tools. The tools that TM uses are mantras.
What are the Benefits of Transcendental Meditation?
It has many physical, mental, emotional and of course spiritual benefits.
- It assists in stress management and anxiety relief. This happens because while meditating when you concentrate on your chosen mantra the brain automatically starts functioning around its rhythm.
- This meditation unravels the constant stream of thoughts and patterns in our brains, eliminating all the overthinking.
- It also helps with depression, insomnia and treating addictions, because this meditation is not about stopping the thought. It is about accessing the inner calm by accepting and acknowledging each thought string and unwinding it.
- It’s especially beneficial for those with ADD, ASD and Alzheimer’s. As it helps to improve some aspects of cognition.
- Also, the repetition of the chosen mantra everyday trains the mind to form natural and effective neural pathways.
How Can You Practice Transcendental Meditation?
- Sit in a comfortable chair with your feet on the ground and hands in your lap. Do not cross your legs and arms.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to help relax the body.
- Open your eyes, and then close them again. Let your eyes remain close during the 20-minute practice.
- Repeat your chosen mantra in your mind. This is typically a Sanskrit sound.
- When you recognize you’re having a thought, accept it, acknowledge it, and simply return to chanting the mantra.
- After 20 minutes, begin to move your fingers and toes to ease yourself back into reality.
- Open your eyes.
- Sit for a few more minutes until you feel ready to continue with your day.
Where Can You Learn Transcendental Meditation?
There are many masters and gurus who personally teach the step-by-step approach to transcendental meditation. You can join one of the many available programs. If you prefer to learn it from home but need assistance to get started there are many apps that will assist you on this journey. Here are few:
- The Meditation Trust
- Maharishi Transcendental Meditation Centre
- Transcendental Meditation Centre
- ThinkRight.me – App
- Transcendental Meditation Guide – App
Use this very powerful tool to achieve a positive state of mind and inner peace