“Some things will never change?” How often do you find yourself sinking into despair with such pessimistic thoughts? It could be triggered because of potholes on the road, pollution in the city and other such examples. By allowing negative thoughts you do yourself a disservice. It is important to be optimistic and look for the positive in every situation.
Developing an optimistic mindset requires effort but once mastered, alleviates the feeling of hopelessness. An Optimistic attitude helps you see the silver lining on dark clouds and makes the glass of life appear half full, instead of half empty.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ADVANTAGES OF POSITIVE THINKING ADVANTAGES
Due to the benefits you derive, optimism becomes your go-to physician and psychologist.
- Interesting research, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, shows positivity and health are linked. The study focused on older women. It was found women, pessimistic about the future, died earlier and those with an optimistic outlook, lived longer.
- Optimism also improves blood circulation and maintains the heart in good condition by keeping at bay problems related to cardiovascular health, blood pressure or heart disease. These findings are backed by in-depth scientific studies.
- Positive thoughts give you the coping mechanism to develop tolerance and a better ability to handle stress.
- Optimism is your invisible therapist when you feel down and leads to a feeling of well-being. Mental benefits include increased creativity, enhanced problem-solving ability, and clarity of thought.
While you may understand the advantages of positive thinking advantages, it is just as important to prevent the rise of negative thoughts.
TIPS ON DEFLECTING NEGATIVITY
- Smile! This simple gesture makes you feel all is well in your world. A genuine smile and a sense of humour go a long way in reducing negativity.
- Reinterpret a tough situation in your favor. For example, if you are late for work, focus on the cool breeze providing comfort on a sunny day rather than stressing on the delay.
- Imagine a better and brighter future. Write a detailed account of it with the conviction it will come true. Remember, you become what you think, so today’s good thoughts will be tomorrow’s bright future.
- Keep a journal of your strengths and evaluate them periodically. Plan how your strengths will make you a better person and more effective at work. This exercise not only lowers your risk of depression but leads to overall happiness.
Positive thinking equips you with a magical tool that makes you feel invincible when life throws hardships your way. Who needs to shoot webs from fingers or leap of a building to fly? The superpower is in the mind.